Hi! How was your weekend? Mine was pretty slow, but I saw that plenty of people had a great time at Shaky Beats. Not much going on at first, as far as I know, but quite a few bigger shows later in the week. Also, feel free to send any pictures you take to @atltodo on instagram!
Monday, May 14
- Anna McClellen : 529 : 9pm : $5-$7
- Perfect if you’re in the mood for a more intimate night of folk and piano music, prepare to cry. Staffers kick it off with some pop music, Semicircle will bring the freak and the folk, while Anna closes it out with some tenderness.
- Dragondeer : Masquerade, Puragtory : 7pm doors : $8
- psych, blues, Southern gothic rock. Quite cheap for a show at the masq! Not a bad choice at all
Tuesday, May 15
- BABYMETAL : Tabernacle : 7pm doors : $35+
- They say it’s sold out but I just gave it a try and it seems like I could still buy one. Good luck! BABYMETAL are nuts, hardcore anime girl theme song metal to the max \m/
- MTN ISL : 529 : 9pm : donations
- All sorts of genres at this one, Ian Deaton opens with all new material, most likely some form of goth post-punk disco. CRT follow, playing “slob house, acid scum.” FEMUR, all the way from the UK are a reverb soaked grunge band, then our very own MTN ISL end the night with cosmic sludge. Probably the most eclectic line-up of the week.
- Ro James : Center Stage : 7pm doors : $35
- Up and coming r&b singer, recommended if you like Prince, Sly and the Family Stone, Bowie. BJ the Chicago Kid opens.
Wednesday, May 16
- MORPH : The Sound Table : 10pm : free
- This is definitely the move if you’re looking to dance during the middle of the week. The dj line-up is stacked, Neana, Leonce, Helix, and Divine Interface
- Mastodon and Primus : The Fox Theater : 6pm doors : $35
- Local legends and recent Grammy Award winners Mastodon return to the Fox with Primus and Nashville psych group All Them Witches open!
Thursday, May 17
- Margo Price : Variety Playhouse : 7pm doors : $21 – $25
- She’s country’s next star, for sure. A touch of outlaw, a bit of girl pop, and a huge Tom Petty influence, she’s one of my recent favorite songwriters. Her recent album, All American Made was one of the best of last year and even if you “don’t like country”, please give her a chance, ya never know.
- Anvil : The Earl : 7pm doors : $18-$20
- Anvil! The classic heavy metal group who influenced the likes of Megadeath and Metallica are playing our tiny lil The Earl, hopefully they don’t blow the roof off. They’ve had a recent resurgence over the past decade because of their exceptional documentary Anvil: The Story of Anvil and their shows are always full of energy and super fun. Any rock fan should not miss this one.
Friday, May 18
- LONER : Elliot St Deli & Pub : 9pm : $8
- Come party like an aliem! The best party in the galaxy with loads of aliems. Guest Room also play their very last show ever so come say farewell before they become groovy space aliems in space.
- Tank and the Bangas : Variety Playhouse : 8pm doors : $17+
- This might be sold out? Anyway, New Orleans funk, soul, and gospel with pure high energy joyfulness. Check out their incredible Tiny Desk Concert for a bit of a taste
- Guided by Voices : Terminal West : 8pm doors : $30
- 90s indie rock titans are still killing it after over thirty years. Ya gotta catch them this time if you missed their Variety show last year.
- New Found Glory : The Masquerade, Heaven : 6:30 doors : $24+
- Relive your early 2000s pop-punk memories. I hope y’all go to this show dressed like you were in high school when this was your favorite band and Blink-182 was ~too mainstream~
- Dr. Dog : The Tabernacle : 7:30 doors : $27+
- If you were more of an indie rock person rather than a pop punk person in the 2000s, you would probably prefer this show.
- Neighbor Lady Record Release Show! : 529 : 9pm : $8-$10
- One of our favorite local acts is putting out a record, Maybe Later! It’s called Maybe Later, it came out May 11 and they’re throwing a party for it. If you like Fleetwood Mac, Patsy Cline, Wilco, and such, check ’em out! Dot.s play, too, and they’re always so much fun, this is gonna be a great show
Saturday, May 19
- Live From Here with Chris Thile : The Fox Theater : 4:45 doors : $35-$85
- The first live Atlanta broadcast of the music and variety show, Live From Here hosted by Nickle Creek’s Chris Thile with special guests Father John Misty and Neko Case!
- tUnE-yArDs : Variety Playhouse : 8pm doors : $26adv
- Fresh of the release of their new album, I Can Feel You Creep Into My Private Life, tune-yards bring their art-pop world dance, uh, tunes to the Variety. If you can’t make it to Tank, this is the next best thing.
- Raise Your Voice : Kavarna : 8:30pm : free?
- Friendship Commanders from Nashville are touring around to promote and help people register to vote! Tiger! Tiger! and the Wussy Pillows open there will be voter registration materials for y’all to take advantage of all throughout the night
- BEY DAY : The Basement : 10pm : $10, i think
- All Beyonce dance party! No bug-a-boos allowed!
Sunday, May 20
- Pussy Riot : The Masquerade, Heaven : 7pm doors : $25
- This may very well be a once in a lifetime show. Let’s riot
Have a good week!
AJ is a goofball who thinks he’s cooler than he actually is. Usually found reading comics at a bar, seeing a show, or getting his ass handed to him in smash bros. Loves watching movies, having hard opinions on things that don’t matter, and being cute.