Welcome back! How was your week? Mine was pretty great, I was lucky enough to see Baths, Stars, and Boy Harsher and they were all stellar, but I’m pretty exhausted. Definitely have to take it slow this week and prep for Shaky Knees this weekend! Hopefully the weather will be as gorgeous as it’s been recently. But! There’s still plenty to do during the days leading up to the fest and on the weekend if shaky isn’t your jam. Also, when it comes to the Shaky Late Night shows, I’m just gonna list them all here on Friday and Saturday nights with more details in a different Shaky specific post in the next day or two. And don’t forget! You do not need a Shaky pass to see the late night shows! But I guarantee tickets will go fast (some are already sold out) so swipe them up before the weekend. It’s also Free Comic Book Day on Saturday!!!
Monday, April 30
- Pollenfest: RAINN Benefit : The Bakery : 8pm : $5-$10 suggested donation
- Come out and stand with the nation’s largest anti-sexual violence organization, RAINN. All profits donated directly to RAINN, all ages, and all welcome. So come by to listen to some exceptional Atlanta and Athens acts spanning all manner of genres from trip hop to emo to indie to shoegaze, learn valuable information from organizations doing very important work, and support positive, passionate people doing incredible work.
- RAINN has a free, confidential, 24/7, national sexual assault hotline, here’s the number, in case anyone needs to get in touch with some help.
- 800-656-HOPE (800-656-4673)
- Power Trip / Sheer Mag : The Masquerade, Hell : 7pm door : $15 adv
- rock n roll! These riff-slingin’ bands are sure to get y’all riled up and thrashed til the weekend, what a way to start the week if you’re planning not to slow down at all. If they’re not heavy enough for ya, The Sword also play in Heaven that night, 8pm, $17
- Beck : The Tabernacle : &pm doors : $70 – a few hundred dollars, why is this so expensive
- Why is this so expensive. Regardless, I bet it’ll be an incredible show, and, as far as I can tell, there are only a few tickets left!
- Guest Room : 529 : 9pm doors : $5 suggested donation
- Freaky jazz and freaky folk; Horse Girl djs after, always the jammiest jams
- Songwriter’s Open Mic : Eddie’s Attic : 7pm : $5
- This decades old open mic has consistently given new and upcoming songwriters a platform to showcase their talent, so definitely take advantage if you’re looking to work on your performance chops, you get too songs with a chance to perform a third at the end of the night. Good luck, y’all!
Tuesday, May 1
- Rick Astley : Center Stage : 8pm : $~35
- It’s Rick Astley, y’all. I don’t really know what to say other than it’ll probably be a lot more fun than you think! I don’t know, he seems like a chill fella.
- Billy Idol : Coca Cola Roxy : 8pm : $40 – $1,200
- If you’ve never been to the Roxy, it’s a bit cold in there! So, I’d say, wear a light sweater. I’d say, wear a CARDIGAAAAAAN!
Wednesday, May 2
- Of The Vine : 529 : 9pm doors : $7
- Post rock! Slowcore! Start the night off with Juna and a busted gut, followed by some friends from Chicago, Rezn and Lume, who seem to know a bit more about that dreadful cosmos than anyone should, and finally our very own Of The Vine, rounding out the night with gorgeous ambient and walls of sound. Highly recommended if you like Explosions in the Sky, Mogwai, Electric Wizard, music with guitars and drums.
- Yanni : Fox Theater : 7:30pm : $50 – $125
- Come celebrate the 25th anniversary of the Greek composer’s legendary and powerful Live at the Acropolis! A must-see for any fan of world music and glorious mustaches. And, from what I can tell, we’re very lucky to have the Fox for a performance like Yanni’s, the beautiful venue will no doubt amplify his electric lightshows.
- The Accidentals : Eddie’s Attic : 6pm doors : $10+
- An eclectic mix of bluegrass, jazz, indie folk, and rock, anyone who enjoys Bela Flek or Chris Thile will absolutely have a great time at this show.
Thursday, May 3
Dee Belvedere, Anonima, Charolastra : The Deep End : 9pm : FREE
- Three djs spinning the night away with visuals by LED artist, Jordan Graves! Also known as Repeat Offfender, she makes hypnotizing LED installations, you may have seen them near Lenox or Tech Square, I think. Perfect for dancing the night away to. She also makes 3D printed jewelry, I’ve bought a couple and they’re stylish as hell.
- The Whigs : Terminal West : 8pm doors : $16 – $19
- The one of two Shaky late night kick off shows, this is one hell of a way to get in the mood! The Whigs celebrate the ten year anniversary of the killer Mission Control with support from Tedo Stone!
- The Black Angels : The Masquerade, Hell : 9pm doors : $23
- The second Shaky kick off show and hese folks absolutely rip, you can’t go wrong with this one to set the tone for the rest of the weekend. And a show starting at night at the masq? I’ve never seen that at the new location.
- Rapture : Star Bar : 9pm : free? idk
- Four cover bands! Rapture are the ultimate Blondie experience, with Runnin Down a Dream tributing Tom Petty, Freebird playing Skynard, and Rolling Thunder strummin’ Dylan.
- AMEN: The Country Show! : Sister Louisa’s Church : 10:30 : free
- A country, folk, bluegrass drag show? Um, say no more, y’all, yee-hawww
Friday, May 4
*** Friday night Shaky Knees Late Shows***
- The Distillers with Broncho : The Masq, Heaven : 11pm doors, 11:45 show : $22adv
- Circa Survive with The Sherlocks : The Masq, Hell : 11pm doors, 11:45 show : $25 adv
- The Frights with Teenage Wrist : The Masq, Purgatory : 11pm doors, 11:45 show : $17 adv
- Parquet Courts with Rolling Blackout Coastal Fever : Terminal West : 11pm doors, 12am show : $23 adv $26 day of
- The Brian Jonestown Massacre : The Earl : 11pm doors, 12am show : SOLD OUT
- The War on Drugs : Variety Playhouse : 1ppm doors, 12am show : SOLD OUT
Saturday, May 5
- Free Comic Book Day! Head over to your local comic shop to pick up some free issues and get some stepping stones into a pretty overwhelming medium. Every comic employee I’ve ever talked to has been super helpful and they tend to have pretty great recommendations. I’ll probably swing by Criminal Records since that’s where I pull my books, but regardless of where you go, I hope you pick up something new and find a cool book!
*** Saturday night Shaky Knees Late Shows***
- Japandroids with LA Witch : The Masquerade, Hell : 11pm doors, 11:45 show : $23adv
- The Melvins with All Souls : The Masq, Heaven : 11pm doors, 11:45 show : $22adv, free with festival wristband
- Post Animal with Sun Seeker : The Masq, Purgatory : 11pm, 11:45 show : $15adv
- Chicano Batman with Adron : The Loft : 11pm doors, 11:45 show : $17adv, $20 day of
- Waxahatchee with Charly Bliss : Vinyl : 11pm doors 11:45 show : $17adv $20 day off
- Black Rebel Motorcycle Club with Pete International Airport : Terminal West : 11pm doors 11:45 show : $25adv $27 day of
- Ghost of Paul Revere with Boy Named Banjo : The Earl : 11pm doors 12am show : $15adv $17 day of
- Fleet Foxes : Variety Playhouse : 11pm doors 11:45 show : $66 (dang$$$)
- Yo-Yo Ma : Atlanta Symphony Hall : 8pm : SOLD OUT
- The world-famous cellist returns to Symphony Hall to perform Saint-Saëns’ First Cello Concerto with the ASO, unfortunately it’s already sold out. Definitely jump on those tickets fast the next time he’s around!
- Spectre’s Ball 3 : Avondale Towne Cinema : 8pm : $15
- Rock opera, burlesque, dance, violins and cellos, jewelry, djs! This has it all, to the theme of Cthulhu and the Ancient Ones and pure cosmic horror
- Phutureprimitive : Aisle 5 : 9pm : $15
- Electronic dance music! Shows like these tend to be pretty fun at Aisle 5, their lighting rig is sick.
- Ganser : 529 : 9pm : $8
- Gonzo post-punk no wave noise group Ganser is in town playing with local faves DiCaprio and Shouldies! dark spooky disco producer Anticipation, too! With DJ Kale Svvick after! If you aren’t doing any late night shaky stuff, this is definitely the show to see.
Sunday, May 6
- Atlanta Symphony Brass Ensemble : First Presbyterian Church of Atlanta : 2pm : FREE
- World-class musicians from the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra performing music from the Baroque period to pop and jazz. Come have a nice afternoon with some pleasant music after all the rock n roll the city has been subjected to.
- Sunset Sessions with Gurufish : Park Tavern : 7pm : FREE
- Every Sunday over the summer, Park Tavern in Piedmont hosts free concerts and they’re always a super cool, relaxed way to spend a summer evening. Gurufish headline, with 1st and First and John Boy & Surround Sound opening, this night will be funky as hell.
Phew. Have fun this week! Don’t forget to drink water and wear sunscreen!
This week’s record is Guppy by Charly Bliss, who’s playing at Shaky! A good pal got me onto this power-pop group a while back and I’ve been looking forward to seeing them ever since. Definitely a top pick for the festival and a great record to soundtrack some sunny porch hangouts.
AJ is a goofball who thinks he’s cooler than he actually is. Usually found reading comics at a bar, seeing a show, or getting his ass handed to him in smash bros. Loves watching movies, having hard opinions on things that don’t matter, and being cute.