Hello! It’s very exciting to be back, big thanks to Ian for everything he’s done. Pretty busy and very loud week ahead of us so let’s get to it!
Monday, 2 April
- Good Tiger, Icarus the Owl, Megosh, Satyr : The Masquerade, Purgatory : 7pm : $10
- Metal! This will be quite the heavy show, very groovy, mathy riffs with a hardcore edge. Make sure to get there early to catch our very own Satyr opening!
- Shepards, Natural Velvet, Rated Age, Mannequin Lover : 529 : 9pm : $5-7 suggested donation
Tuesday, 3 April
- Cradle of Filth : Buckhead Theatre : 7:30 : ~$32.50
- Fans of the IT Crowd should be familiar with this act. Guaranteed to be an over the top, theatrical, and very loud performance!
Wednesday, 4 April
- Primitive Man, Spectral Voice, Encoffination : The Earl : 8:30 : $12adv $14 doors
- This is my pick of the week. Primitive Man released a soul crushing doom metal record last year and I can’t wait to hear what they sound like live. Earplugs are a must at this one.
- Tears for the Dying, Jesse Nighswonger, ciggurl, Post Hunk, Yams Club : 529 : 9pm : donation$
- If bone shattering sludge metal isn’t your thing, maybe check this one out, a great collection of local indie rock/pop acts! I’ve seen Post Hunk a few times now, very cool stuff, and Tears for the Dying are a classic “deathrock” group from Athens.
- Xiu Xiu : Drunken Unicorn : 9:30 : $12
- Experimental pop music! This will be a weird one.
Thursday, 5 April
- Washed Out dj set : Little Trouble : 6pm : free, $5 after 9pm
- Hosted by Campari and Brooklyn Brewery. There will be plenty of beer, cocktails, and some yakitori bites, as well. It should be a really great time! Come ride the ~chillwave~
- 3TEETH, Ho99o9, Street Sects, Sugar Virus : Masquerade, Hell : 6:30 : $18adv
- Industrial music! Gothy vibes! I’m definitely going to this, I love Street Sects. Put on some dark makeup and that one Joy Division shirt everyone has and get spooky
- Hard Industrial Night : Sidebar : 10pm : $10
- This is the “after party” for the 3TEETH show and honestly it’s a bit confusing because sidebar is a sports bar downtown and this is the last thing I’d expect to happen here. But! It’s only a few blocks from the masq, definitely the move if you’re looking to keep your night going
- PLS PLS, The By Gods, The Boy Jones : Star Bar : 8pm : FREE!
- It’s a free show at the star community bar! rock n roll! PLS PLS are super fun and groovy
- Ayo River, Suede Cassidy, Blanko, Bornstars : The Earl : 8:30 : $8
- This will be a very sweet and charming show! If y’all like Wye Oak, Elvis Costello, “indie rock”, this is the place to be.
Friday, 6 April
- STOMP : Fox Theatre : 6pm : $33.50 – $88.50
- “See what all the noise is about.” I saw Stomp as a kid and boy howdy, I was blown away. Great for young and old alike, their explosive performance is sure to put a smile on anyone’s face. There are a couple performances on Saturday, too.
- WREKtacular 2018! : The Bakery : 6pm : $14 for a one day pass, $22 for a two day pass
- Come celebrate 50 years of Georgia Tech’s WREK Radio! A two day music and art festival featuring many wonderful acts, including Elf Power, Omni, Pamela_ and her Sons, and CHEW.
- Big K.R.I.T. : Tabernacle : 8pm : sold out
- This one sold out almost immediately, but if you have a ticket already, I hope you enjoy the show! The Saturday show sold out, too.
- Mattiel : Terminal West : 8pm : $10
- Bit Brigade performs The Legend of Zelda : The Earl : 9pm : $15
- Sup nerds, Bit Brigade are incredible and put on such a unique performance. Their last show sold out pretty fast so make sure to get tickets early!
- Jackie Venson : Drunken Unicorn : 9:30 : $15
- Soul! If y’all like Joss Stone or Amy Winhouse, I’m sure you’ll enjoy Jackie. “It is legend that a blistering Jackie Venson guitar solo knocked Pluto straight out of planetary existence.”
- Morph : Music Room : 10pm : FREE
- free friday night dance party at the music room? There are definitely worse things you could do, sounds fun!
Saturday, 7 April
- Dweezil Zappa : Variety Playhouse : 7pm : $38-$55
- Frank Zappa fans shouldn’t miss this. Dweezil’s 12th annual tour is called “Choice Cuts!” and he has curated an all new show filled with some of Frank Zappa’s boldest compositions or as Dweezil says, “A collection of the meatiest tracks,” with which he plans to satiate the appetite of Zappa fans, old and new.
- STOMP : Fox Theatre : 2pm, 8pm : $33.50 – $88.50
- Curtis Harding : The Earl : 9pm : $15
- Old school soul inspired blues and classic rock n roll. His recent record, Face Your Fear, was definitely one of the best last year.
- For Sale performs The Replacements : 529 : 9pm : $10
- Pretty self explanatory, local rockers The Pinx open
Sunday, 8 April
- Streets Alive!
- It’s not a musical event, but it super fun anyway. Come on downtown and ride a bike around!
- Withered, WAKE, Malevich, Gregorio Franco : The Earl : 7:30pm : $10
- And finally, another metal show to round out the week. Get there early for some darkwave synth vibes from Gregorio Franco!
Okay! Quite the week ahead, I hope all the metalheads out there are satisfied. And I’m seriously considering going to see STOMP, it’ll be so much fun, y’all. Good luck finding something and feel free to send in some pictures! I might start an instagram, what do you think?
This week’s record of choice is the newly released Midnight Larks by our very own goth-surf, dark country band, Midnight Larks! It’s fantastic, I went to the record release show on Saturday and had a wonderful time. Definitely see them next time they perform, I’ll be sure to let you know! Here’s a spotify link to the album and the band’s facebook page and you can pick up a copy of it at any local record store!
AJ is a goofball who thinks he’s cooler than he actually is. Usually found reading comics at a bar, seeing a show, or getting his ass handed to him in smash bros. Loves watching movies, having hard opinions on things that don’t matter, and being cute.