This Week in Music From contributing writer AJ Michell
Helloooo I hope y’all took advantage of the beautiful weather last week, I sure did. Hung out in a pool, kayaked the Chestatee (it’s so fun, not too far north, and only $25 to rent a kayak!), then saw Peach Kelli Pop to keep the summer vibes going throughout the night. I also saw that Celesthesia at The Bakery was incredible, feel free to send some pictures if ya got some good ones, I’d love to see y’alls aliem selves. It’s also my sister’s birthday on the 11th! Happy 25th sis! Love ya
Monday, June 11
- Chris Lee : Terminal West : 7pm doors : $16
- Didn’t get to catch Hamilton at the Fox over the past couple weeks? Come see the Thomas Jefferson actor as a solo act, maybe he’ll even sing some Hamiltunes
- Yung Heazy : Drunken Unicorn : 9pm doors, 9:30 show : $8
- Vancouver dream pop! But, in my opinion, the main reason to go to this show is Naan Violence. Atlanta based transcendental sitar jams, can’t beat that.
- Harry Styles : Infinite Energy Center : 7pm : $100+
- Kasey Musgraves opens, she’s pretty great, they’re both babes, have fun!
Tuesday, June 12
- A Place Both Wonderful and Strange : The Bakery : 8pm : $6
- The Atlanta Opera performs Sweeny Todd : Cobb Energy Center : 7:30 : $$$
- Performances on Friday the 15th at 8pm, Saturday the 16th at 8pm, and Sunday the 17th at 3pm
Wednesday, June 13
- The Plaza is screening Tank Girl! Dress up! There are costume prizes! Starts at 8pm so get there earlier
- La Luz : The Earl : 8:30pm : $15
- La Luz are surf doo-wop and Midnight Larks open! They’re my favorite local dark country goth surf band. And I always gotta plug their recent self titled, definitely in my top ten of the year so far.
- Chun In-Kwon : Buckhead Theater : 7pm doors
- The Korean King of Rock visits the U.S. for the first time! After a 32 year long career and a performance at the Olympics, he’s finally touring the U.S. This is not one to miss, who knows when he’ll come back.
Thursday, June 14
- A Performance in the Park : Piedmont Park : 7:30 : freeee
- As a part of the ASO’s two-season-long celebration of Leonard Bernstein’s centenary, the program will include Symphonic Dances from West Side Story and Overture to Candide. The program will also include favorites by Tchaikovsky, including Tchaikovsky’s Rococo Variations featuring Atlanta Symphony Talent Development Program alumnus Khari Joyner, cello.
- Emo Nite LA : The Masq (hell) : 9pm : $10
- I can’t find any specifics at the moment but emo nite is always fun
Friday, June 15
- Jesse McCartney : Buckhead Theater : 8pm
- Remember Dream Street?
- R+R : Variety Playhouse : 6:30pm doors : $39+
- Robert Glasper is a supremely talented musician and he has Christian Scott in his band, who the hell gets Christian Scott to play in their band, that’s insane.
- UFOMAMMUT : 529 : 9pm : $12
- Ufomammuyt are Italian doom metal legends, I’ve been looking forward to this show since the day it was announced, prepare to get your guts ripped out. Atlanta’s own Order of the Owl open!! If you didn’t catch them during 529’s tenth anniversary, you absolutely can not miss this show. If you even have an inkling of interest in metal of any sort, attendance is mandatory.
Saturday, June 16
- Forward Warrior! : Wylie St in Cabbagetown : all day Saturday and Sunday : free
- Come hang with street muralists as they repaint the giant wall that holds all those trains up! It’s always a fun weekend, everyone is super nice, 97 Estoria and all your Carrol St staples are open to take care of ya, there’s no better way to spend your Saturday and Sunday afternoons.
- DOT.S : 529 : 9pm : $8-$10
- DOT.S are always incredible, Jay Americana opens and will absolutely be headlining shows within months, don’t sleep
Not too much, but some super choice shows this week. I will absolutely be at the Ufomammut show, can’t even believe they’re playing 529. And I hope to see everyone at Forward Warrior this weekend!
This week’s album is Kero Kero Bonito’s Bonito Generation! A couple pals got me onto this group recently and their all about that Japanese aesthetic. House music, city pop, weird techno, all sorts of dance jams full of both happiness and melancholy!
Hi! How was your weekend? Mine was pretty slow, but I saw that plenty of people had a great time at Shaky Beats. Not much going on at first, as far as I know, but quite a few bigger shows later in the week. Also, feel free to send any pictures you take to @atltodo […]
Hey y’all! Sorry about the delay, Shaky Knees really screwed up my schedule but I’m back on track now, I won’t let you down next week! Did you have fun at the festival? I had an incredible time, even lost my glasses in the pit during Japandroids so sorry if there are any typos. Thursday, […]
Welcome back! How was your week? Mine was pretty great, I was lucky enough to see Baths, Stars, and Boy Harsher and they were all stellar, but I’m pretty exhausted. Definitely have to take it slow this week and prep for Shaky Knees this weekend! Hopefully the weather will be as gorgeous as it’s been […]
Hey y’all, how was your Record Store Day experience? I hope you found everything you were looking for! I hung around down there a bit, it was so packed but a couple pals got some sweet finds at Wax n Facts. Also saw some pics and footage of 420fest, hope y’all didn’t get rained on […]