This Week in Music From contributing writer AJ Michell
Monday, June 25
- Tiny Scissors : The Bakery : 9pm : $5
- Faun and a Pan Flute : 529 : 9pm : donation$
- Avant-classical, buttery folk, Yukons are celebrating their new album!
Tuesday, June 26
- Dowsing : The Masq : 7pm : $10
- Feel good sad jams, Kelsi Grammar open, I heard they might play some new songs!
- CKENT : The Masq : 7pm : $10
- New rising Atlanta artist, has worked with Lil B and Yachty, there’s a chance he’ll blow up soon so catch him now!
- Klimchak : The Bakery : 8pm : $5 – $10 sugg donation
- A very meditative and percussive event, one of the most unique sets of the week for sure. Expect to see some combination of home built instruments, computerized sound design and a mess of drums, flutes and maybe a theremin!
- Semicircle : 529 : 9pm : donations
- A night of very clever singer-songwriters, Gold Connections will be interesting. A bit like a bluesier Big Star!
Wednesday, June 27
- Mortuary Drape : The Earl : 8:30 : $15
- Black metal! And death metal! There should be a black death metal band that exclusively write songs about that big ol’ plague.
Thursday, June 28
- Wussy Vol 4 Release : Atlanta Contemporary : 6pm : free
- Wussy Mag is partnering with Atlanta Contemporary’s program, Contemporary Cocktails (which happens every Thursday from 6-8)! They’re also taking pictures for their annual yearbook! So come by in support of the queer arts magazine dressed in your fanciest high school fantasy attire and celebrate their fourth volume!
- Metal McDonald : The World Famous Clermont Lounge : 9pm : $10
- Metal covers that must be seen to be believed! The Vaginas also perform! It’s Doesin’s final show ever! This seems loud and wild. LUST and Dead Red Flowers open
- Watch Out for Snakes : 529 : 7pm : $10 – $12
- SYNTHS. Chiptune, sci-fi, dark, murder, the whole synthy gambit. Sounds like the 80s and driving on the 1 late at night.
Friday, June 29
- ATL Collective Presents: Tom Petty’s Wildflowers : Buckhead Theater : 7:pm : $15 – $25+
- Handpicking the best local and national musicians to collectively cover the greatest records ever released, the ATL Collective are covering Wildflowers! They’re always such a treat and put on stellar shows.
- Hank and Cupcakes : The Earl : 9pm : $10 – $12
- Y’aaalllll these two are so much fun! If you like Matt & Kim you’ll love Hank and Cupcakes, they’re just as energetic, a bit heavier, and full of smiles.
- Haley Heynderickx : Grocery on Home : $30, RSVP required : 7pm
- If you’ve never been to Grocery, it’s one of the most unique, but very very tiny venues we have here. The show is already full, but there is a waiting list so don’t give up!
- AJ Lambert : 529 : 7pm : $10
- Nancy Sinatra’s daughter graces the 529, performing unique covers of some modern bands and a few of her grandfather’s deep cuts, will definitely be a fascinating show. One of my faves, Rose Hotel, opens!
- Null Zone Summer Showcase : The Bakery : 7:30 : $5
- Experimental cassette label Null Zone swings by from Athens with an eclectic line up including a couple local pals. Ambient guitar, modular synths, heavy krautrock
Saturday, June 30
- Tailgate Series: Lauren Morrow of The Whiskey Gentry : Coca-Cola Roxy : 2pm : FREE
- The first show of the Roxy’s Tailgate series! Come by in the afternoon for some sweet summer jams before you catch the Zac Brown band at Suntrust Park. It seems like so much fun and why not? It’s free
That’s about it from me, sorry about last week, y’all. I hope summer has treated you well so far!
This weeks music is a lil ep from Rose Hotel, Always a Good Reason! “Rose-colored muses from inside her window”
Helloooo I hope y’all took advantage of the beautiful weather last week, I sure did. Hung out in a pool, kayaked the Chestatee (it’s so fun, not too far north, and only $25 to rent a kayak!), then saw Peach Kelli Pop to keep the summer vibes going throughout the night. I also saw that […]
Hey y’all, welcome back. Kind of a bummer about the weather during the Candler Park fest, huh? Still, it seemed pretty fun! And shout out to all all my synth pals during the meetup on Sunday, always so cool to see a passionate niche community come together and talk about what they love. Speaking of, […]
Welcome back! So, I completely forgot that Hamilton started at the Fox last week and goes until June 10! There are very, very few tickets left and they’re all a couple hundred dollars, but if that’s your jam, I hope you get a good seat. This week we have the Candler Park Music and Food […]
Bit of a slow week! Monday, May 21 Nada Surf : Terminal West : 7:30 doors : $20 Tuesday, May 22 Happy World Goth Day! Iceage : The Earl : 8:30 doors : $16 The Return of Material Girls! The second best show of the week, will be great theatrical fun Omni w/ Small Reactions […]