This Week in Music From contributing writer AJ Michell
Hooray! It seems like spring is finally here to stay, let’s celebrate this warm weather by standing in dark bars late at night.
Wednesday, March 29
Adron at The Earl : 8:30 : $10 : 21+
- My pick of the week, come for her lovely, intimate, tropical, steamy tunes, stay because you might fall in love with someone, who knows! It tends to get pretty magical when she plays. She even has her full sexy band!
The Bolos at Star Bar : 9pm : $6
- If you’re more in the mood for “a hump day chock fulla fuzz and fun,” check these fellas out for some good garage rock. Dan Rico opens with some power pop, Atlanta’s Black Cat Rising play second.
Thursday, March 30
Georgia State University Singers at First Prebyterian Church of Atlanta: 7pm : free
- For something a little different, maybe check out some gorgeous choral music performed by Georgia State University’s premiere vocal ensemble. I’ve seen them a few times and they never disappoint.
Sound + Vision 787 Windor St SW : 7pm : $20
- The Atlanta Film Festival’s signature mid-week event! Come and to hear some music by Yung Baby Tate, recent viral blip Tank and the Bangas, and Bradford Cox! They’ll screen some experimental films and have quite a few art installations as well!
Flower EP Release Show at 529 : 9pm : $donations
- Release shows are always fun! I really enjoyed their last album Waste of Life and they even have text adventure game! Give it a shot then you can tell them all about how you died while you pick up their ep after the show. World’s Greatest Dad and Piss Shy also play.
Night Moods! at Edgewood Speakeasy : 10pm : no cover
- Or go to this if you just want to dance!
Friday, March 31
Meet Mastodon at Criminal Records : 11am
- Buy their new album, Emperor of Sand, get a poster (while supplies last) and meet the band! Seems like a great way to start the day. You can even pre-order the album (cd or 2xLP) here!
Superbody Album Release Party at RowdyDowdy : 8pm : $5 : 18+
- Superbody are so strange, in a very charming and infectious way. Their loverboy and turtleneck approac to pop music is truly unique and with bands like New Madrid and Dot.s supporting, it’s lookin to be a goofball kind of night.
Dollar Signs at C*nt Cave : 9pm : $5+ (support the touring bands!) : byob for folks 21+, keep it in cans, please
- “If you like soft to mid bomb the music industry stuff, this will be your jam.” Sounds rad. Bad Idols, Mall Goth, Dead Selves, and Seagulls support. Dead Selves seem fun, billed as “Atlanta’s new fol punk hotness,” so if you like AJJ or something along those lines, check this out!
Diarrhea Planet at the Drunken Unicorn : 9pm : $12 : all ages
- These Nashville lads play loud music! Not everyone from there is some good ol’ boy sitting on a stool with an acoustic, but just because they play rawk, doesn’t mean they aren’t talented, they can definitely melt a face or two. But the real draw for me is Atlanta’s “glam rock space alien psychedelic power pop” group Pinkest!
The Midnight Marauder 1 Year Anniversary! We Suki Suki : 11:59pm – 2am
- This is really music related, I just love The Midnight Marauder! His hyper local hotdogs are always a temptation that I usually act on when I’m in the village. Vegan options, too! And the hip-hop dance group Hold My Flavor will be performing in the front, so you can’t miss it.
Saturday, April 1
Honestly, take this day off. If I find something I’ll post about it.
Sunday, April 2
Take the whole weekend off.
Monday, April 3
Il Volo with the ASO at Atlanta Symphony Hall : 7:30 : $49.50
- This is the final show on their Notte Magica – A Tribute to The Three Tenors tour. They don’t come to the US very often, so you may not get another chance to see them for a while!
The Regrets and NO ICE at Murmur : 9pm : $5
- These two bands from NY are on their 2017 BAD GIRLS TOUR. I’d check them out if you like The Temper Trap, Ra Ra Riot, stuff like that. Our very own Peach State opens, I’ve been meaning to check her out
Pallas at 529 : 9pm : $5-7 suggested donation
- It’s their coming home from tour show! Experimental noise pop! They have been working very hard, lately, so head out and welcome them back from their tour and see some other great bands, too! Jepeto Solutions from NY and Jake Tobin’s Loose Organisation, described as “another chapter in this long list of fortunate mistakes”.
Tuesday, April 4
Rusted Root at Terminal West : 7pm : $25-30
- This is adorable and I hope everyone that decides to go has a fantastic time!
La Dolce Vita at Midtown Art Cinema : 7pm : $10, i think
- This is one of my favorite movies of all time and if you’re even remotely interested in Italian cinema, or just Italy in general, I highly recommend going to see it! Always try to take the chance to see a classic on the big screen.
I hope y’all find something, have fun!
This week’s album is Organismo by Adron. It’s beautiful, romantic music perfect for late nights/early mornings/the time I usually write these. Check it out and come see her show on Wednesday! facebook, spotify, actual website, lovely music video, bandcamp
Hello! Are y’all having a good week? Mine has been very weird, but that’s neither here nor there. Nothing that some good music can’t fix. I have some non music related events here, too, just because I think they’re super cool and I still feel bad about the lack of daily updates. Not sure if […]
Hello! It’s good to be back, sorry about last week, I was being dumb and super stressed out, won’t happen again. So now that we’ve discontinued the daily “what’s going on posts” I’ve decided to list all of the musical things that I find and highlight the ones that I think are worthwhile, rather than […]
Hello! Did y’all make it to Japandroids on Friday? What a killer show! apologies to the people standing in the back with us, I hope my poor sing/shouting didn’t bother you too much. And how about the Variety’s renovations? I know that’s old news but I hadn’t seen the new look yet, I’m into it! […]
Hey y’all! I hope you had fun last week, I definitely did. Louie Louie were fantastic and friendly on Tuesday, the house shows were so much fun and passionate (we raised over $600 for the Feminist Women’s Health Center at the Twin Studies show!!) and Thelma and The Sleaze killed it Saturday! Couldn’t have been […]