Hey y’all, how was your Record Store Day experience? I hope you found everything you were looking for! I hung around down there a bit, it was so packed but a couple pals got some sweet finds at Wax n Facts. Also saw some pics and footage of 420fest, hope y’all didn’t get rained on too badly yesterday. Kind of a local heavy week with a couple shows I’ve been looking forward to for months as well as the inaugural Atlanta Music Festival!
Monday, April 23
- True Blossom : 529 : 9pm : donation$
- A slow night, but this’ll be a great chance to check out 529’s new room if you haven’t yet! Low Valley Hearts also play with DJ Kale Svvick afterwards
- Maybe check out the free comedy show at Star Bar or chill with the metalheads at the lil5 corner tavern!
Tuesday, April 24
- Baths *** : Terminal West : 7pm doors : $16-$18
- Baths! Oh gosh, I’m so excited for this one, been a huge fan for almost eight years now and I can’t wait to see how much he’s grown since his masquerade show in 2011. His stellar 2017 release, Romaplasm, is pure joy powered by friendship and self discovery and adventure! If you like Tycho, Four Tet, Dan Deacon, or being happy, this is one for you.
- Joey Bada$$ : Center Stage : 8pm : $25
- I haven’t really listened to him much since B4.Da.$$ but he’s definitely one of the best, “Land of the Free” is undeniable. He’s bound to put on a great performance.
- Reverends : 529 : 9pm : donations
- One of my favorite groups at the moment, will be loud and psychish. Hot Garbage play, too!
Wednesday, April 25
- LONER, Boygirlfriends, & more! : The Bakery : 8pm doors : $10
- A big ol’ night full of lovely folks and friends playing music! Acts also include Big Baby Scumbag, Pretty Reef, Jay Americana, Jazz Ingram, Tired, and Y’all. With a lineup like that, it’s sure to be a great night, not one to miss, especially if you haven’t been to check out The Bakery yet! It’s very nice. Presented by @nomoresundays
- Stars : Variety Playhouse : 7pm doors : $25
- Indie pop darlings bring their charming sparkly tunes to your earholes
Thursday, April 26
- Superchunk with The Rock*A*Teens : Terminal West : 7pm doors : $22-$25
- The Rock*A*Teens! I mean, Superchunk are super fun, but The Rock*A*Teeeens! These classic Cabbagetown rockers don’t play too often so ya gotta see them whenever ya can, a perfect night to relive the 90s.
- Prokofiev and Beethoven : Atlanta Symphony Hall : 8pm : $22-$92
- A vague homage to Haydn in this performance, Prokofiev’s “Classical” Symphony being a kind of tribute to the period and Haydn himself, while Beethoven, being a student of his, shows his influence during his Second Symphony. Two very boisterous pieces with Mozart’s Oboe Conerto to round it out. Performances on Saturday at 8 and Sunday at 3, as well.
- Kilberth album release : The World Famous Clermont Lounge : 9pm doors : $10
- A wild night full of psychadelic music including Michael Myerz (an absolute treat to watch perform), Zruda, and Jacks River Band.
- Duet for Theremin and Lap Steel : Railroad Earth : 8:30pm
- If you missed them at Criminal on RSD, nows your chance to catch them again! Absolutely captivating music.
- Acid Mothers Temple & The Melting Paraiso UFO : Drunken Unicorn : 9pm doors : $10-$12
- More psych rock! The Japanese supergroup still shreds after over two decades, but who knows when they’ll be back here. Not one to miss!
- Sash’s 40th Birthday Bash! : Star Bar : 8pm : free
- Rock n roll birthday party! Sash the Bash plays, Twin Trances, Dusty Booze and the Baby Haters, and Adam Anzio! Will be a rollickin’ good time, happy birthday Sasha!
- Electric Boogieland : Noni’s : 10pm : free
- good ol’ disco dance party
Friday, April 27
- *** The Soft Moon & Boy Harsher : Aisle 5 : $13adv : 9pm
- Fresh of the release of a spectacular new record, The Soft Moon bring their darkwave post-punk noise to Aisle 5 with a personal favorite, Boy Harsher! I saw them at 529 a bit over a year ago and it’s still one of the best shows I’ve ever seen, can’t wait!
- Subsonics LP Release show : The Earl : $10 : 9pm doors
- with Paint Fumes and Bad Spell!
- Rabbit in the Moon : Opera Nightclub : $10-$35 : 10pm
- A rave! With nutty visuals! Seems pretty intense, honestly
Saturday, April 28
- Atlanta Music Festival : Murphy Park Fairgrounds : 1pm-11:30 : $35-$75
- The first ever Atlanta Music Festival! Focusing on local Atlanta acts established and upcoming, celebrating all the cool bands we have to offer. I’m looking forward to Gringo Star, Midnight Larks, Chelsea Shag, Cousin Dan, and, obviously, The Black Lips. There will be food trucks, alcohol, interactive games, vendors, and more! If Shaky Knees next weekend is a bit much for you but you still want a bit of festival fun, definitely try your best to make it here, it’s gonna be awesome. Here’s a short lil trailer for ya
- HAIM w/ Lizzo : Coca-Cola Roxy : 7pm : $42-$69+
- Wish I could see them, I’ve heard their live shows are super heavy. And it’d be great to see Lizzo before she starts selling out venues herself!
Have a good week! I’ll see ya at Baths and Boy Harsher, for sure.
This week’s record is Need to Feel Your Love by Sheer Mag! I finally got into them after my pals raved about their show that I missed and it’s been on heavy rotation, at least when the sun is out, it’s perfect for walking around. Very riff heavy, powerful, super catchy tunes. And they’ll be back very soon! On Monday the 30th! At the Masq!